Monday, December 13, 2010

A Blogger Remembers - And Now For Something Completely Quidditch

If you read our Wiki you got a  brief description of how the team came to be.  This post originally was posted on my blog at socialworkout.com.  This describes how I met The Group That Shall Not Be Named and eventually how I met Katie and played non IQA Quidditch for the first time. 

A few weeks ago when I was doing one of my marathon Ren Faire workouts I happened up an interesting group of people. They are the New York Harry Potter Meetup Group taking their annual trip to Faire. True to my regular form I like to use my knowledge to make people laugh. So I took a rose out of my basket and went "Rosegardiam Leviosa." Which got a laugh and then I corrected myself and said "Sorry Rosegardiam Levio-SAH." Which got an even bigger laugh. To make a long story short after a day of mutual laughter they invited me to their first annual version of the Triwizard Tournament.
The tournament went down like this. The first round was Quidditch, the second round a Wizarding trivia duel and the third was secret and unveiled at the event. I too shall keep it secret for now.
The beginning of the tournament we were sorted into our schools. Like the book they were Hogwarts, Durmstrang and Beauxbatons. Yours truly was sorted into Beauxbatons.

Round 1 - Quidditch
Now Quidditch is played minus brooms*. The pitch has the same three ring goals as in the book and movies and all 7 positions are the same. 1 seeker, 2 beaters, 3 chasers and 1 keeper. Most of the rules are the same in the movies and books. So I will point out the differences**. The Quaffle is a volleyball and it dribbled and passed like a basketball. The Beaters have bludgers which are gigantic kickballs that they can kick at the chasers and seekers. If you are hit by a bludgers you must freeze for 10 seconds. If you are carrying the quaffle you must drop it where you stand. The Golden Snitch is usually attached to the belt of a person who runs tries to outrun the chasing seekers. Play suspends after the seeker removes the Snitch much like flag football. If the Snitch is captured the team gets 150 points and they automatically win the game. We lost our first game to Hogwarts and beat Durmstrang. I had a blast playing this game. Hogwarts took this round.

Round 2 - Wizarding trivia duels. Basically this was a round robin matchup where the duelists were given a topic and they had to name as many things they could from that topic. If you didn't answer within 5 seconds you were out and it went to 2 duelists. They would then duel it out til one person was remaining. That person would get a point. Beauxbatons took Trivia challenge with 7 of 12 rounds won.

Round 3 - Harry Potter Theater. Each team was given improv devices we had 30 minutes to come up with a 5-15 minute play that was Harry Potter themed. Our devices were Snape's Amazing Discovery, dream, and the bat bogey hex. Now before I go into what our play is about there is an offshoot of fanfiction called Slash. Slash is usually fanfiction where two characters have a same sex romantic encounter. So the premise is simple Snape is aghast once he reads some of the slash fan fic written about him. He falls asleep and dreams that all his students are outing him and a few of them hit on him. Where he wakes up and realizes that he is truly gay. Twisted I know but you have to work with what you are given. I hate to say it but we took that round too. So Beauxbatons won the first ever Triwizard tournament, wizarding glory and all it's spoils. Which was $5 bucks and some candy. I pocketed the cash and gave the candy to Beauxbatons lovely cheerleader. I ended up leaving with one of the girls from Durmstrang***. We took a long walk and had dinner together. This was truly a complete workout for my body, mind and creativity. I can't wait to hang with these people again.

* I didn't know there was an IQA.
** Let it be known for those of you who are not Quidditch savvy there are gigantic difference between the IQA rules and non IQA rules.
*** Not Katie.

No comments:

Post a Comment